To continue on the theme of my geekness, I bring you lessons in PR from Captain James Tiberius Kirk:
- When exploring strange, new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilizations, and boldly going where no man had gone before, Kirk made sure to put his team’s best foot forward.
- Until face with a hostile situation… Then he was in crisis communications mode.
- When giving a progress report to Star Fleet, he’d downplay the bad and highlight the good.
- Are the rules not working for you? Change them. Next time you are faced with a tough situation, think Kobayashi Maru.
- Kirk surrounded himself with a team he trusted with his life. Everyone needs a Spock and McCoy to trust with their reputation.
- When organizing away teams, Kirk had his main guys… and the nameless guy in red who was always expendable. In PR we need to prove our value, like Spock and McCoy, so we can live another day.
On your next project ask yourself what would Kirk do?
Be a leader, not a red shirt.
Boldly go where no one has gone before.